Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hunter's first birthday - part 2

For Hunter's birthday party, Josh and I decided that it would be fun to have a "light" party. As mentioned in earlier posts, Hunter LOVES lights and he enjoys flicking the light switch off and on. I tried to Google some "light party ideas" but I found NOTHING! This idea didn't exist! We were on our own! So, we decided to gather as many weird and interesting lights as we could from friends and relatives. We had lava lamps, Christmas lights, black lights, a siren, a stoplight, a disco ball and an electricity ball (you know, the one has bolts of "lightning" and you put your hand on it and the bolts go to your hand?) We also got a ton of glow sticks that looked like swords and wands for the younger kids in our families and a ton of glow bracelets and necklaces. It was awesome that we could find that kind of stuff because of the time of year that he was born! :D My sister came over the day before the party and helped me get everything decorated, so I didn't have to worry about it the day of. Hunter thought it was very interesting when he saw her up on the tall wall putting up Christmas lights (as demonstrated in the pic).

I decided that I wanted to make Hunter a shirt that said, "I'm one year old," so he could wear it while eating his birthday cake. I thought it would be cool to get a darker colored shirt and have the writing be white or glow in the dark, so it would look awesome under the black light. So, I got the stuff to do it and it turned out pretty good...

And now back to what happened at the party...

After Hunter got ready for the party, we decided to give him his first taste of milk before the party guests arrived. I didn't give him any throughout the day because I wasn't sure if you just say, "Here's your milk - drink up!" or if you give them a little at a time. I found out that it doesn't matter, so we put some in a sippy cup - cold - and he didn't really want anything to do with it. It was probably because he had just eaten a little before that...

Everyone started arriving and we passed out the glow swords and wands to the kids - and they loved them! We even got Hunter a yellow glow sword as well. (On a side note, yellow, we have discovered, is his favorite color... hmmm, I wonder why? What else is yellow that he loves? LOL! If you don't know what I'm refering to, think about the theme of the party... :P) We also gave the adults the glow necklaces and bracelets and the "light" party was on! It was still a little light outside when we started but the lights still looked cool. We started eating and I expected some people to go downstairs and hang out because my upstairs isn't THAT big for the amount of people we had at the party. But no one did! They all wanted to be where the lights were! (I didn't decorate downstairs, just in case anyone wanted to get away from the lights...)

The food was very yummy and the pasta bar was a success. Everyone commented on the yummy alfredo sauce (made my Josh's mom), chicken, breadsticks (Hunter really liked those - as displayed in the left picture), salad and meatballs (made by Sam's Club - hehe). I felt bad because Josh's grandpa is somewhat blind, so this whole "light" party made it very hard for him to see because it was dark. So, we ended up cracking the blinds in the front room so he could see what he was eating. He kept joking about it, so it seemed like he was okay with it... I guess we didn't think that part of the party through very well! Sorry grandpa!

After we finished eating, we decided to do presents because Hunter was getting a little awnry because it was getting close to his bedtime. We turned on some lights, so the pics would turn out and sat him on my lap. He kept squirming and trying to get away because he didn't want to sit still but as soon as he saw his first present - the Lightning McQueen toy I mentioned in my last post - it definitely caught his interest. And not just his interest but the interest of EVERY child at the party! They all gathered around as Hunter tried to check out his new toy and they started to fight over it! Josh wanted to bust out the new toy so everyone could play with it and I warned him not to because there wasn't time to open every single new toy that Hunter got... but he opened it anyways. Later on at the party, the kids ended up beating each other up over the Lightning McQueen toy, so we had to hide it so the kids would stop fighting over it... I guess it was a cool toy!

We continued to open presents and had to hurry through them because Hunter was very impatient. Any time that I tried to show him anything other than a toy (clothes in particular), he would push it away and try to escape off my lap. I felt bad because we were rushing through the presents and I thought it seemed like we weren't grateful for the gifts and time that our family spent picking them out for Hunter. But I'm sure that everyone understood that a 1 year old's attention span is very limited!

To be continued... (because after I typed up this whole thing, it ended up being THREE pages in Microsoft Word! Guess I have a lot to say!)

2 comments:

Liverachi said...

It's true what they say. The first party is more for the mom than for the kid. Hunter did however have a lot of fun, as did all the rest of us.

Shelbi Jean said...

Did you have to "to be continued" right when I was getting into it? You are a terrible blogger! Oh the insanity! Well hurry up and post the rest. I still need to come over and give you his gift :)