Sunday, November 1, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine...

I thought I should document our little adventure with the H1N1 vaccination...

My friend Shelbi wanted to get her little daughter a swine flu vaccination because of obvious reasons and wanted me to take Hunter to get one as well. I had my reservations and basically believed what most people did about the vaccination - that you would be worse off if you went and got it. After speaking with Josh and other family members and doing A LOT of research, I decided that it would be best to get one for him.

So, on October 22nd, we woke up at 6 am, got ready and then met Shelbi off the freeway on 21st street. She transferred her daughter Aubree and her things to my car and off we went! We pulled up to the Weber-Morgan Health Department office and looked at the line. It didn't look too bad! So I dropped Shelbi off to go get in line and I went to park the car. I saw a spot towards the end of the parking lot and noticed that there was another car wanting that spot too. The parking lot was pretty full, so desperate times call for desperate measures... I had the better angle on the spot, so I totally stole it from the other car! I felt bad but then I noticed that another car was pulling out of a spot a few rows away and the car I cut off got a parking spot, so that made me feel better.

I got Hunter in his stroller and got all of the baby accessories and headed towards the building. I called Shelbi to see where she was at and she said that the line we saw was just the beginning of it! The line was clear around the back of the building! Oh boy!

They only had 400 injectable shots so we knew that our position in line was going to cut it close but we figured we would take a chance. I knew we would need to "hunker" down because we were going to be waiting for a while and it was kinda cold. So I bundled Hunter up and prepared for a very awnry baby. I brought a bunch of toys, books, snacks and even a portable DVD player... but he didn't need ANY of that! He just sat in his car seat in the stroller and was a perfect little angel! He may have been a little lethargic because I woke him up so early but he was still way good!

By the time the line moved up to the front of the building, we had been waiting in line for about 2 1/2 hours. When we got closer to the door, a lady had a paper with little tally marks on it and told us to "hold on a sec" while she counted them up. She looked at both me and Shelbi and said, "you guys are good" but then told the lady behind us that there was no guarantees for her! My stomach just dropped! We had been talking to this lady the entire time in line and she was so nice and had tried to get her little daughter a shot a couple times before but wasn't able to, so I felt so bad!

We got into the building and got to where the nurses were and they were trying to figure out how many injectable shots they had left. They checked with all of the nurse stations and the nurses kept saying, "I'm out! I'm out too!" I was panicking at this point thinking that they had just ran out but then one of the nurses was like, "We have a few left, come on back." So, I took Hunter into one of the rooms and got him ready to get the shot. I looked at the supplies and noticed that she was holding one of the last vials of vaccine. I said, "Man, we cut it close, didn't we?" She said, "Oh yes, VERY close." She gave Hunter the shot and he started crying but then I gave him his binky and he was fine.

I met Shelbi and we got ready to go (she was able to get her daughter a shot too) and we saw the lady that was in line behind us. We asked if she was able to get one and she said yes, that they had found a case of more vaccine, so they were able to get about 20 or so more people vaccinated. Phew! SO close!

I'm glad that I was able to get Hunter a vaccination but he still needs a booster because he is so young, so I hope I won't have to go through that again. But I still can't believe how AWESOME Hunter was throughout the whole process. We ended up being in line for about 3 hours and he was so good that the only time I gave him his binky was AFTER he got his shot! I definitely underestimated my little man! What an adventure, I tell ya!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Geez I thought you were going to share a horror story on how the vaccine made you sick or something!Glad it was just a long wait.